Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Red EFT RPG

Pretty much the curse of my life can be found in the phrase "go big or go home." I don't intentionally follow this creedo. I just always seem to end up following this creedo. It leads me to disappear from sight for long periods of time and then reappear with something huge which the world promptly ignores because tl:dr.

It's just the nature of the beast.

The internet is a roaring stream of information where even the biggest attempts to make a splash disappear in an instant. The only way to make it reach anyone is to drizzle small amounts of paint in the water and hope someone notices the streak. Hence the blog and the twitter and the facebook and the google+, all of which I hate (except for google+ strangely, yeah google's big failure is the one thing they've made that I regularly enjoy) but that's just me. I don't change easily but I am learning.

The big thing I've been working on lately is an attempt to bring to an end this quixotic quest of almost 25 years to create the perfect all-purpose tabletop role playing game. That's right, by finally bringing a single game to market I'm bringing a very long chapter to a close. This game has gone through numerous name changes over the years. Let's see if I can remember them all....

Theater of the Absurd, The ToAd, Tales of Adventure, Model Reality Kit, Agama.

Yup, that's it.

It has also gone through astounding changes of mechanics and philosophy where each of those titles barely resemble the other. The latest and hopefully last incarnation of it is going to be The Red EFT RPG. If you could imagine the Ramones coming back from the dead to rewrite GURPS into something that anyone could play, that is what the Red Eft is. It's designed to be fast and loud and fun. Is it the perfect tabletop role playing game?

Not by a long shot.

But it is pretty good. I wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't. I think the mere presence of all the thousands of different RPG's out there proves the point that perfection will never be found. And that's fine. The big thing that has me writing this godawful early morning (it's 7 am where I'm at) is that if I'm working on the Red Eft then I'm not being social. Of course, these days if you're not being social then you're busy sinking rather than swimming. So, for this blog, at the very least. I will try to keep pumping something into it by posting interesting bits and pieces from the Red Eft books as I write them. It'll give us something to do as the clock ticks down. And I'm always interested in feedback. Who knows maybe you'll stop me from making yet another disastrous mistake.

Doh! Too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment